Re: [at-l] LNT 12- Smokey's revenge!

I mostly lurk - but just had to say this, relevant, sane or not -
I am one who definitely wants a fire.  I don't attribute it to anything more
than my dad being a cop for 24 years.  Even out in the woods, I feel fear.
Not from bears, or crazed wild pigs - just people.  I have always feared
"humans", never the wilderness.  Being recently separated and soon to be
divorced, I am trying to build up my courage to do a weekend ALONE on the
trail.  I don't think I could do it without that "safe-haven" of a fire on a
trip alone.  Yes, I AM afraid of things that go bump in the night.  But only
because I found out growing up of how that "bump" could change, or destroy, or
end your life.  Now, because of the respect I give to the knowledge of people
on this list, I think maybe my backpacking days are over unless I find someone
else to do it with.  I don't need a fire for warmth, or food (cooking), but I
need it for peace of mind (however illogical, because a fire surely makes it
easier to be seen and NOT see.) I don't want to contribute to damage to our
precious backcountry - I love it, and the peace and tranquility it gives me,
the perspective especially, and I strongly believe in LNT.  After that post, I
think I will never enjoy roasting marshmellows again.  I could use that "tube"
more surely than giving up a campfire.  I had no idea it was so bad.
The Redhead