Re: [at-l] Saddleback Mtn

In a recent post this was said.

>I say it is about time to use eminent domain to finish protecting the
>AT
>and quit wasting tax money on fighting issues such as this.

Although I too would like to see a complete AT corridor and at the risk
of starting another war on this subject. I have to say, we must be
careful how eminent domain is used. How would you feel if it was your
property? Sure this might be some big megabucks company, but where do we
draw the line? One of our country's founding blocks is the right to own
property. What about that new road they want to put through your family
farm, where do we draw the line? The more eminent domain is used the
easier it is to use. Who decides what the good of the people is? Read
what we did to multi generation farms to get the Shenandoah National
Park. Although that may be an extreme case, we live in a capitalist
country and government interference with the rights of private citizens
and corporations (however greedy they may be) scares me. It is true a lot
of tax money is wasted on problems like this. I don't have a solution....
just an opinion. All flames cheerfully ignored.  :-)

woodelf

P.S. I didn't intend to flame the author of the post I quoted, just
stating my opinion.