[at-l] Re: ATML Thirding thumbs

charliethorpe@worldnet.att.net writes:

<< it is my feeling that the incremental damage caused by the critters
 taking their "third" is just as real...but, that damage IS a natural part
 of the ecosystem.  As the balance tips for one plant or for one critter,
 "natural selection" tips it back to equilibrium again.  Our intrusion into
 this wonderful wild system of life is what we call our "impact"...too much
 intrusion and we don't get to enjoy that "wonderful wild system" any more. >>

I think it's important here to keep in mind the linear aspect of the equation.
Because we hike in a narrow corridor,  our impact with regard to harvesting
wild berries,  etc.  is greatly reduced.  Within a hundred yards of the trail,
the animals will be able to forage 100% of the crop because we don't stray
there.  We are much more likely to impact the hikers behind us than a
particular area's wildlife.  My personal rule of thumb is to take only what I
can consume that same day,  thus behaving as a wild animal does.  It jars my
sensibilities -- though I'm not denouncing it -- to hear of hikers taking
their berries to a restaurant to be made into blueberry pancakes,  waffles or
muffins.

Also,  many of the berries would not be growing along the trail if the trail
wasn't there in that they need the ecological niche of the trail's edge to
grow.  So by creating a manmade trail through the woods,  we increase the
output of berries.  This is why I feel no guilt at harvesting a modest amount
for myself.

Conversely,  the linear part of the equation with regard to waste disposal
magnifies rather than minimizes the waste problem creating the need for us to
be very careful in applying LNT solutions to the problems we bring into the
woods.  Unlike berry harvesting,  waste disposal is not a self-limiting
problem.  As we overwhelm the trail corridor with our catholes,  we stress the
capacity of the land to process the wastes.

Therefore,  I don't think a strict LNT advocate can be called a hypocrite for
having a purple tongue from eating some berries.  Those who might be looking
for an easy excuse for not practicing LNT should look for another reason.

I might add that my comments are intended only for the AT situation below
treeline.  I'm sure that above treeline and out west the problems are
different due to climate, soil and terrain.  Since I am ignorant of those
dynamics,  I can't comment other than to say that in cases where we don't
understand the ecological equation,  practicing strict LNT limits the damage
we can do to our precious wild lands.

Happy trails,

Solar Bear