Re: [at-l] Saddleback Mtn. & NPS

Christopher Vreeland writes:

[...]

>                   In my opinion the NPS proposal is more than fair to
> the ski area and the ski area owners are attempting to swindle the US
> taxpayer with their counter proposal.

Right. Refusing to accept less than $200,000 for 900 acres
of mountaintop -- almost twice what is legislatively necessary
to protect the Appalachian Trail corridor -- is an attempt
to "swindle the US taxpayer." I've got news for you darling,
you can't buy unbuildable deer yard in these parts for that
price, let alone a mountain that can be developed commercially.
The current NPS purchase offer is an insult that was rightfully
rejected.

Meanwhile, those in the "trail community" who want to protect
this section of the trail seem perfectly willing to let the
taxpayer foot the bill. It makes one wonder who is "swindling"
who here. If any of you jokers are willing to put your money
where your mouths are, there should at least be a Saddleback
A.T. corridor purchase fund to which people can contribute.
If I knew that the last stretch of unprotected trail was to be
purchased through private donation, I'd cough up a hundred
dollars in a heartbeat. You can't tell me that there aren't
a couple thousand others willing to contribute similar amounts.
If the NPS offer can't at least be matched with private funds,
the "trail community" doesn't deserve a protected Saddleback
Mountain, IMO.

> I would like to urge all friends of the AT to contact Senators Snowe &
> Collins to let them know of your support for the park service proposal.

Neither will listen to you, as they aren't coming up for re-
election any time soon.

> I have made a point of contacting the senators on the phone and sending
> them e-mail to let them know that at least three Midwestern tourists will
> be coming to Maine to walk over Saddleback Mtn., not ski down it.  I would
> like to ask all interested parties to do likewise.  Thanks.

Keep in mind that hikers don't contribute much to the economy,
unlike the "beautiful people" who take to the slopes.

--
mfuller@somtel.com; Northern Franklin County, Maine
The Constitution is the white man's ghost shirt.  }>:-/> --->