[at-l] Saddleback Mtn. & NPS

Dear Fellow AT Listers & Friends,

As you may or may not be aware, there is an ongoing dispute between the
National Park Service and the ski area on Saddleback Mtn..  They are in the
midst (still) of the resolution process and so far Maine's two senators
have come down on the side of the ski area proposal and have tried
"leaning" on the NPS to accept the ski area proposal.  You can refer to the
latest Trailway News from the ATC for the details of the competing
proposals if you wish.  In my opinion the NPS proposal is more than fair to
the ski area and the ski area owners are attempting to swindle the US
taxpayer with their counter proposal.

I would like to urge all friends of the AT to contact Senators Snowe &
Collins to let them know of your support for the park service proposal.
They can be reached at the phone numbers and email addresses which follow
at the end of this post.

I have made a point of contacting the senators on the phone and sending
them e-mail to let them know that at least three Midwestern tourists will
be coming to Maine to walk over Saddleback Mtn., not ski down it.  I would
like to ask all interested parties to do likewise.  Thanks.

Senator Snowe-   Olympia@snowe.senate.gov  or (202) 224-5344

Senator Collins- Senator@Collins.senate.gov  or  (202) 224-2523

Chris Vreeland

Haslett, MI