[at-l] Re: Another Newbie Delurks....

Welcome, Block Dog! You wrote:

>I have only recently stumbled upon this list and all the wonderful pages
and links
>associated with it. <(Sorry bout your stumble, guess we should straighten
up a bit around here...<g>)>

>I have spent a few years riding my Mountain Bike on the Virginia Creeper
Trail.
>(Is this considered "Dirty Talk" around here?)
     I don't think so, IMHO of course  (Heck, you just missed a couple of
really "dirty" discussions!) I'd imagine if you are a hiker/biker you showed
some respect for the trails you rode... The fact that by bike was how you
got back into hiking shows you were thinking right<G>

>Most of my hiking experience harkens back to days of yore
 <snip>
>I am now 43 and it has been a while since I have actually hit the trail.
>From lurking here for a couple of days I wonder if hiking hasn't become a
bit too >technical these days. (Although I have always had a deep respect
for the outdoors.)
     Packs _have_ lightened a little bit since yore (for some of us :).
You'll find that some of the people here who can write the most technical
stuff have also been known to nearly wax poetic at times (Owen, hopeful, the
green ghost, et al). And then, on the other hand, there's Felix, and Sly,
and Solar Bear, and Kahley, and...<VBG> So many people with good
contributions. But I think all here respect the outdoors deeply - in their
own way - and they respect others who do, as well.

>I am an "in"active member of the Mt. Rogers A.T. Club but I hope to change
that soon.
     Go For It!

>I don't have an exciting story like Tom's to share with you folks yet but
I'm sure I will >before the spring thaw.
>I am enjoying the list and I hope to have a real contribution next time I
post.
     Better hurry, I think there is a two week moratorium on good stories...
:)
Look forward to having you contribute to the discussions. A note for
everyone who's new - attachments sometimes cause technical problems for some
of the listees, so if you can avoid it, that's good. - Kurt