[at-l] horses

Taking your pack off could be a good idea. I used to carry a large external
frame pack and  had several dogs go nuts, with the owners always saying they
had never done that before (we're talking Irish Setters and such that don't
tend to be aggressive to start with). It occurred to me that somewhere back in
the dogs small mind was the idea that this big, square outline with feet was a
bear or something. I got in the habit of setting my pack down when there was a
dog coming my way, at least until it figured out I was a "people", and didn't
have anymore problems.... The  same could well apply to
horses....
Peace....