Re: [at-l] What would you do?

This is a difficult question to answer in as far as my response would
depend on the individual situation. If the "offender" is alone or at
least not part of a group that might be present then I would almost
certainly point out the error of his ways. I think that most folks would
receive this in a positives way if I approached them in a non-attack
mode. If a group is present then I think the most productive approach is
to address the issue away from the group if possible. Good of human
relation rules of thumb will always apply.

I think that even if the offender becomes defensive or seems to reject my
comments out of hand, all is not necessarily lost. Often folks will come
around once they have had a chance to think about it or if they don't
feel like they are loosing face. Down the road they can change their
behavior without appearing as if they have just come from the principal's
office. I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case when the offender
is with his group.

Soft answers are known to turn away wrath. Unfortunately, there are some
folks on the trail that are dumber than a stump. They remind me of the
story of the preacher who sold a mule with the provision that the new
owner never curse the mule. By and by the new owner brought the mule back
to the preacher and wanted his money back. "Why?" ask the preacher.
"Because the mule wont follow any command I give and you made me promise
not to curse him." The preacher picked up a big stick and hit the mule
right between the eyes! "Why did you hit the mule," the man asked in
disbelief, "when you made me promise not to even cuss at him?" The
preacher replied, "Well, you have to get his attention before he'll
listen to you."

Use good psychology, use winning ways and pure charm, give the charm a
chance to work  but if all else fails use a big old stick.  Hopeful