[at-l] A Little Help, Please

As one who has been quietly reading and learning from you grizzled trail
veterans and veteranettes, I want to express my thanks for your willingness to
share from your lessons learned - sometimes the hard way.

This spring I and my sons/sons-in-law will be making our first ever attempt to
join the AT backpacking fraternity with a short 5 day sectional hike in
southernmost Virginia.

The problem I have is I want to purchase a quality external frame backpack -
one with enough capacity to carry what I will need on extended excursions but
also to carry a good portion of what my wife will need when we go out together
[we are both retired and pushing 60]. She can walk all day and climb a ton but
just doesn't have the upper body strength necessary to tote the full load.

After much research I settled on the Eureka Talon.  It seems to be well
respected and has what I need.  Unfortunately, they won't sell mail order and
the three stores identified on Eureka's web site as being available locally
are no help - one went out of business, the second won't deal in backpacks,
and the third, Sports Authority, is less than enthusiastic about special
ordering.

Any suggestions, please??  Any recommended substitutes???  Thanks

Al (no trail name yet) Sarra