[at-l] Re: [at-l Southbounders and Baxter news

Hi Stephanie
   re your post about a letter from Baxter... was that in regard to your
reservations?  I sent my annual letter out on 12-31-97 to ask for reservations
for May 18&19 ( and several other dates :-)) and haven't heard word one...
they are never this late!              Did they deny you your request? Last
spring Katahdin and many other peaks in Baxter were closed above treeline
until June, but to not open campgrounds? That's highly unusual, but the
condition of the perimeter road in springtime can range from gawdawful
washboard to hubcaphigh mud... And the Hunt trail ( the AT ) can be a brook in
spots during high snow melt.
  It not unusual for Chimney Pond to open that late, I think it's the norm, in
fact.
  Oh well, here's wishing for a quick warm spring... and Good Luck on your
"Mega" AT journey!
TraderJohn (aka JohnGordon)