[at-l] This List

Kahley and Kurt Russell wrote:

> >This list is a blessing.

> >We might argue, but don't war.  We
> >may singe, but rarely flame.  We disagree without being
> >disagreeable.  We try to answer all questions and
> >give advice without sounding preachy.  We value the strange
> >and the irascible.  And we have a hellofa good time while
> >we're at it.  I hope the trail will be alot like this list.
> >I wish the real world was.        Kahley
>
> Can I change the sig to "Kahley - Princess of Words"? This is exactly what
> I've been thinking, and wanted to say (I couldn't even delete any of it as
> even slightly irrelevant). Thanks for beating me to it, and saving me some
> time!<VBG> I grew up in a big family, and it was a lot like this - assention
> and dissention, progression and regression, all the things that keep you
> from becoming too concerned with that "real world" fixedness that too many
> people regret too late having had. When you stop growing, you begin dying. I
> like you all, and thanks to each and every one of you - hmmm, except Felix,
> of course. I'm too envious of his hot tub full o' beans, and the rare
> cameraderie he has with various forms of wildlife<G>!
>
> Kurt

I've been watching the "whining" thread develop - and while it had the
potential to become a small flame war (and would have in other places),
I think Kahley and Kurt have said what really needed to be said here.
This list - and the hiking community in general - are "family".  It's an
idea that's taken root in several places, including the ALDHA Gathering.
There's no requirement that we all agree about everything - there are
those of us who know very well how dysfunctional families can be.  But
there's a mutual respect on this list that's grown beyond anything I've
seen in any other place in the Cyberworld. And I just wanted to say
thank you - to everyone who's been a part of keeping it that way.

> The bond that links your true family is not one of blood,
> But of respect and joy in each other's lives.
> Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof.
>              Richard Bach, from "Illusions"

Y'all have a good weekend and a happy Valentine's Day. Gotta go - the
beans are boiling and the monkeys are trying to tie up the dogs with the
rope.

Walk softly,
Jim