[at-l] [PATC] SNP Damage (fwd)

Andy posted this to the PATC list.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 18:09:57 -0500
From: Andy Hiltz <AHiltz@CAIS.NET>
To: PATC@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM
Subject: [PATC] SNP Damage

I have received some updated information on storm damage in Shenandoah
National Park and points south.  Reports state that there is significant
damage to park facilities and power lines, and some portions of the Drive
are covered with more than a foot of compacted ice and snow.  Some sections
of the Drive have 30 to 150 trees down per mile, and hundreds of snags and
branches are ready to come down.  Many miles of the AT are also affected.
In some places, the trail is impassible.

Along the entire length of the Blue Ridge Parkway, many trees are also
down, and much of the road is impassible.  The damage is worse to the north
(just south of SNP) because more ice formed in this region.  I was told the
damage is similar but more wide-spread than what was experienced with
Hurricane Hugo.

As of today (2/12) I am told the Park does not expect to have the Drive
open for at least two more weeks.  PATC has some serious trail work in
front of it when the Drive reopens.  Please  sign up to our Membership List
(if you're a member), or our List Service if you're not, if you're
available to help out with the cleanup.  We'll do our best to keep you
informed of trips.

Andy