Re: [at-l] Hiker accident on Katahdyn?

Priyo said:
     "Saw a news clip on CNN yesterday evening (01/28/98)
     about some hiker sliding down about 800 ft on the
     face of Mt. Katahdyn in Maine.  This was an
     accident and don't remember the condition of the
     hiker.  Is the area open now for hikers to get in?
     I thought it closes on October 15th and doesn't
     reopen until later into the year.  I could be
     mistaken, though.  The news clip I saw was not
     read by any newsperson, it was flasing by on the
     wide strip at the bottom of the screen."
I havn't heard about this incident, but I had a few friends who were
planning on doing the big K in the winter a few years ago.  To get on the
mountain during the winter months the conditions must be right meaning full
winter conditions, stable snow, etc.  You must go as an expedition team --
bringing full expedition gear (enough stuff to warrant dragging sleds
behind you) There are also a few stages of clearances buy the rangers, kind
of testing you before they give you the final OK.

So, yes, if my facts are right it is possible that someone was up on the
Big K. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but this was the case a few
years ago.

-chris c|\sciano
http://www.rit.edu/~cac6982