Re: [at-l] Comments

Dan 'Wingfoot' Bruce wrote:

> I have noticed the comments made about me and Trailplace
> on this list recently, and I will respond to several that
> I think represent misrepresentations.
> <snip>
>
> On agenda and freedom:
> It was stated that I have an agenda and that I will
> attempt to squelch any disagreement. I do have a vision
> of the AT, and I have stated that publicly through both
> the books I write and the Trailplace website. I have
> placed more than 200 ways that others can state their
> views, even if they disagree with me. I do not remove or
> block people from Trailplace or its associated mailing
> lists if they disagree with me. I do have one rule that
> is primary ... that no one can use Trailplace or its
> lists to direct personal attacks against the character
> or motives of another user or subscriber. Issues are up
> for discussion, but you can't say derogatory things
> about those who are discussing an issue. I have removed
> several people from the list who have repeatedly violated
> this rule. I have also barred blatantly commercial ads
> placed by individuals. Trailplace is not a commercial
> page, no fees are charged for using it, and none are
> planned. And, if I don't use it to make money, I don't
> see why others should use it to do so.
>  <snip>

The previous paragraph is a blatant misrepresentation of the truth.I was removed
from the ATML for merely expressing my opinion on the content and usage or in my
opinion over usage of WF's book by folks attempting a thru-hike.

WF used his mailing list to respond to my post after he removed me from the list,
and in that response he wrote derrogatory comments directed at my character or
motives. Additionally, in his response he made reference to my post out of context.

As a result of this, and from reading some of his older posts to this list, I do
believe that WF has an agenda for both the AT and for trailplace. It probably is OK
to have disagreements on the ATML, as long as one doesn't disagree with the
administrator of the list.

Nuff said??
In the interest of both freedom of expression and diversity I believe that we should
do what we can to develop the AT-L and Kathy Bilton's AT Homepage. They have
provided a service to us longer and have demonstrated through practice that they are
noncommercial and do not have a hidden agenda.

Bob Seiler
"All The Way" AT '97