[at-l] Comments

I have noticed the comments made about me and Trailplace
on this list recently, and I will respond to several that
I think represent misrepresentations.

On copyright:
A point was made that Trailplace carries my copyright,
and the implication was made that anything shared on
Trailplace becomes my property. That is not the case and
shows the author's lack of understanding of copyright.
Anything shared on Trailplace or this list is owned by
the author of the comment. As a publisher, I place a
copyright notice on Trailplace to protect the property
of contributors. This is good practice followed by any
responsible publisher (e.g., the ATC magazine). It
means that if the property is used improperly, the
publisher may join the author in seeking to correct
the misuse. It does not mean that the publisher becomes
the owner of the property. The individual retains his
or her ownership unless transferred legally to the
publisher, and that is standard in publishing, either
in printed form or on the internet.

On agenda and freedom:
It was stated that I have an agenda and that I will
attempt to squelch any disagreement. I do have a vision
of the AT, and I have stated that publicly through both
the books I write and the Trailplace website. I have
placed more than 200 ways that others can state their
views, even if they disagree with me. I do not remove or
block people from Trailplace or its associated mailing
lists if they disagree with me. I do have one rule that
is primary ... that no one can use Trailplace or its
lists to direct personal attacks against the character
or motives of another user or subscriber. Issues are up
for discussion, but you can't say derogatory things
about those who are discussing an issue. I have removed
several people from the list who have repeatedly violated
this rule. I have also barred blatantly commercial ads
placed by individuals. Trailplace is not a commercial
page, no fees are charged for using it, and none are
planned. And, if I don't use it to make money, I don't
see why others should use it to do so.

On permanancy:
A point was made that Trailplace may not always be on-line.
This is true, but the same can be said for every other AT
page and resource on the internet.

In general, the AT "community" has its cliques and each of
them seem to have an agenda, so to represent only Trailplace
as having an agenda and motives is ignoring the truth. I've
been working in this field for more than 12 years, and it is
rife with politics. I generally try to stay away from the
organized versions. I have one purpose in providing Trailplace,
and that is to help people get good information and to have the
best possible experience on the Appalachian Trail, in the way
that they choose. The same motive is the driving force behind
the other publications that I do. I might add, money is not
the motivation, as many would like to imply, nor is praise.
Anyone who serves the AT community will tell you that you get
very little of either.

I don't expect everyone to think that what I am trying to do
to serve the hiking public is for them, but I think I have a
right not to be demeaned for trying to do so in the best way
that I know how.

WF