Re: FW: [at-l] Trailgrub (sans dehydrator) Ideas?

Crispy,

If it's something you're going to be sending in maildrops, you should
definitely consider Mahatma Beans and Rice combos--particularly near the
end of the hike when you can't get enough to eat. There were three
varieties that I liked: black beans and rice, red beans and rice, and pinto
beans and rice. Add a small can of Chicken and you have a massively filling
dish, with the protein and starch and (if you use Squeeze Parkay) goodly
helping of fat you need to keep walking.

I found that one of these was too much to eat early on in the hike, and
during the summer it was too hot for something like this, but come fall,
when it got chilly and my metabolism was in high gear, it was my absolute
favorite. And boy did it smell good when it's cooking! People were always
following their noses in my direction around dinner time. A fine
alternative to Mac n cheese or Liptons.

You can buy these along the way at many of the larger grocery stores, too.

--Rhymin' Worm

(Robert Rubin) GA>ME '97 -- RHYMWORM@MINDSPRING.COM
Newsletter Editor, Piedmont Appalachian Trail Hikers (PATH)