RE: [at-l] Advantix camera suggestions.

On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, Ronald Moak wrote:

> The most popular camera I saw on the trail last summer was the Olympus.
> They are small, light, and waterproof. They have built in flash and most
> models have a zoom lens. Generally they start at around $100. Make sure you
> carry an extra battery.

I can vouch for the Olympus camera, I have one and they are great. The
battery is a bit of a problem because

1)it's not a simple AA or AAA battery, it's a Lithium camera battery and
is fairly common as far as camera batteries go...

2) the cameras default to "Flash on" mode even in sunlight and the
constant recharging of the flash kills the battery pretty quick. I have to
remind myself to quickly switch the camera mode to "No flash" to conserve
power.

I carry at least two extra batteries at all times. But, it's a great
little camera and very sharp optics.

-Milt