[at-l] Re: ATML Section Hike Suggestions Sought

Marty,

A good section would be the 55 miles between Troutville, VA and the James
River. This was my first section hike, and it was a lot of fun. I did it in
June, when all the thruhikers were coming through, which made it even
better. But it includes quite a bit of variety--some US National Forest
Wilderness areas, one very stiff climb (Floyd Mountain), nice variety of
shelters, plenty of water, and some excellent scenic overlooks from the
nearby Blue Ridge Parkway. Plus, if you're nervous about your first time
out, most of the hike closely parallels the Parkway, so there's always an
easy way out if things get unpleasant.

Going the length of the Shenandoah National Park (Waynesboro to Front
Royal) would be slightly easier hiking, and another pleasant, scenic,
interesting section. You'd see a lot of wildlife there.

There are plenty of more remote sections, but for a first time out, I'm
betting you'll want something that leaves you some margin for trial and
error. There are plenty of people in both areas to give you rides to and
from the trail.

--Rhymin' Worm

(Robert Rubin) GA>ME '97 -- RHYMWORM@MINDSPRING.COM
Newsletter Editor, Piedmont Appalachian Trail Hikers (PATH)