Re: [at-l] Issue in the Whites

>   I've found this discussion on the List regarding the AMC huts very
> interesting, so I thought I would add my two cents.

It's OK, We won't charge you...

>   I should begin by saying that I've never stayed at any of the AMC huts, nor
> have I gone backpacking in the Whites.  The price charged at these huts does
> concern me.  But I think the concept of these huts is wonderful.  It permits
> those who are not prepared to engage in real backpacking to hike up into the
> mountains and then have their food and lodging provided for.  This enables
> many people who could not otherwise do so to stay overnight in these beautiful
> mountains and experience them in a way akin to those of us who backpack are
> always able to.  This is a very positive thing, and AMC should be encouraged
> to continue their operation.

I would love to go to the huts.  The way my back acts up, it may be the only
way I see the Whites.  The price doesn't concern me... I have gone on Bike
tours in Vermont where we stayed at a Bed & Breakfast & went on rides by day,
and enjoyed the scenery at the B&B afterwards (much more expensive).

>   My main concern, though, is that others who do not wish to pay the prices
> charged by the huts and do not need to avail themselves of the services they
> provide be able to camp out in the same general area without paying exorbitant
> fees.  From what I understand, in a number of locations there are no campsites
> or shelters anywhere near the huts, thus making it impossible to do a thru-
> hike through the area without somehow staying at the huts, or else taking long
> detours to the nearest campsite.  To me, this is the real problem that needs
> to be addressed.  (And allowing a handful of thru-hikers to stay at the huts
> for free in exchange for doing chores is not the entire answer).  Comments
> have been made about the overcrowding and resource damage at the shelters and
> campsites in the area in the 1960s and 1970s, but times have changed, and most
> campers now have a much higher regard for the environment.  It seems to me
> that if they are properly supervised (with caretakers), there is no reason why
> campsites cannot be located within a reasonable distance of the huts, thus
> making it possible for everyone to enjoy the splendor of the White Mountains,
> regardless of one's ability and/or willingness to pay the fees charged by the
> AMC for stays in the huts.  To me, this is the crucial issue that should be
> addressed.
>
>    Daniel Chazin
>    Teaneck, NJ
> * From the Appalachian Trail Mailing List | For info http://www.hack.net/lists *

I must have the type of family these huts were built for.  With 2 good sources
of income, I can afford $50, so can many other people... I wouldn't blink an
eye, $50.00 is nothing, I have paid much more money for much less in the way of
accomodations... let me get this straight:  You get a comfortable bed, a
fantastic breathtaking view, and food!!!  At a hotel this could easily cost
$100-$200 a night (been there done that), and not be as nice.
Hotels won't let you work for your lodging, or give you free left overs.  They
would charge you a lot more money (in the Whites), they would be larger, be
much more of an eyesore, be more commercialized, probably have more pools,
tennis courts, skiing, etc nearby, would attract other businesses, shops, etc.

The Huts are starting to look better and better to me...

As Pooh said,

"The best part about the huts is that they DO bring the crowds out.  They
bring older people, non-athletic city-types,  families, children...people
who you wouldn't expect to see hiking.  And you know what that does?  It
encourages these people to see the beauty, enjoy the land, and RESPECT the
trails."
--

People  who may never have gotten out into the mountains, will now bring their
families out to see the beauty.  Who's to say that some of the very people

"They paved paradise, and they put up a parking lot ..."

Russ