Re: [at-l] long underwear, underwear

Yes, it makes a difference for me. I switched to Coolmax undershorts about 2
years ago, and it has eliminated the chafing and rash that I always got,
even on day hikes in the winter.

Cotton fibers actually absorb water (this is why cotton towels work so
well), and release it slowly (which is why it takes so long to dry). Wet
cotton fibers are abrasive, which leads to chafing in the nether regions for
guys; well, me, anyway. Coolmax and other polyester fibers solve this
problem - they don't absorb water, so it wicks through to the next layer, or
evaporates directly. In hot weather, I can take off my soaked Coolmax
t-shirt, hang it on a branch at lunch, and it's dry in half an hour. Try
that with cotton!

As for washing, just rinse them out. I really don't see the need to burn my
underwear <g>. And yes, I have tried going undershortless in my lined nylon
hiking shorts, and while it works just fine, the shorts start to stink bad
in less than a day. For some reason, the coolmax underwear seems to prevent
this.

As usual, YMMV.

Ken

http://www.hack.net/lists *