[at-l] We made it

Hi everyone,

It's so good to be back on the AT-L.  I signed off in June or so with the
intention of hiking the last 680 miles or so of the AT (from BRP 51.7
(crossing right before Punchbowl shelter, going South) to Springer Mtn. and
Amicalola Falls) with my wife, Grace.  Well, we made it!!  We spent 73
wonderful days on the Trail and loved just about every minute of it.  Hmm,
there was that day in northern Georgia when I got stung 9 times by
yellowjackets, but even then it was awesome. :)  It was the first
backpacking trip of over two nights for my wife.  Not only did she love it,
she excelled at it.  I am very proud of her.  We have been off the Trail
for about 1.5 months and we miss it very much already.  Luckily, we now
live in Colorado (we moved here after finishing the AT) and we are trying
to get our hiking fix.  However, as you all know, there is no substitute
for being on the Trail.

This trip allowed me to complete the entire AT southbound, a trip I started
in August of 1993.  And, ladies and gentlemen, I am here to tell you that
no matter how much you hike, how long you take, how fast you hike, it is an
experience worth every bit of your effort.  I will be the first to admit
that from getting off the AT in November of 1993 at Rockfish Gap until we
started this summer, I felt that I had quit, failed, wimped out, whatever
negative term you can think of.  Just ask my wife, she knows!  But, after
our hike this summer and the time and experiences that we shared, I can
honestly say that there was someone wanting me to wait and do this with
her.  We were meant to be together for this.  It was and will continue to
be a defining period in both our individual lives as well as in our married
life.  There are no words to express it.

I guess some of you are probably wondering what this crazy guy is rambling
about.  It is simply this.  Just get out there and do it.  Do it solo or
with someone special.  Go for a dayhike, an overnighter, a weekender, a
week, a month, a summer.  Just go!  It is a rewarding, worthwhile
experience no matter.  Of course, most of you on this list probably know
this already.  But if you don't (and my wife wasn't sure even being married
to a long-distance hiker), I am here to tell you to GO!!  And for those of
you who didn't make it the whole way in one summer, go back.  It will work
it's magic on you again and who knows, it might be a much more enriching
experience the second time.  I can say that it was for me.

I hope you haven't minded my ramble.  I get carried away sometimes.  But,
if there was ever something worth getting carried away about, it is the
hiking on the Appalachian Trail.  We already miss it very much.  But now we
are closer to the CDT and it is starting to work it's unique magic on us
already.  Watch out, here we go again.

Good hiking to everyone,

"The Bramblebeaters" '97
Grace and Jason Johnson

P.S.  It's great to be back on the AT-L.  Thank you Ryan and Milt for all
your tireless efforts on behalf of the list.