Re: [at-l] Binocs???

> Binoculars....
> I've had a bunch over the years...Big and heavy, monocs weighing 1oz.,
> 'spy' scopes of 12 power that needed to be set in cement to steady them.
> The newest ones I'm considering are TITANIUM 8X10 under 6 oz (or so I'm
> told) with ruby coated lenses.  Is this coating a gimmick?  What is it's
> purpose?  Thanks		Kahley
> * From the Appalachian Trail Mailing List | For info http://www.hack.net/lists *

Kahley:
The purpose of any lens coating is to prevent flare.  Flare is when light is
allowed to reflect off of an element (most lenses are made up of more than one
piece of glass or plastic) and then reflect back into the lens.  this can be
seen on photographs taken towards the sun sometimes as a streak and sometimes
as a series of circles or polygons coming from the light source.  Coatings cut
down on the reflected light in a lens but also cut down on the transmitted light
There is a neverending search for the ultimate coating and the ruby (color not
precious stone) coating is another step in this direction. It cannot be used in
a camera lens since it will affect color rendition on film which is not as
adaptable as the eye.
Rich