Re: [at-l] Incomplete thru hikes

Cost
I helped my son, Skipper, with his expenses:
My part:
$400 boots (2 pair Vasque Sundowners)
$300 travelers checks for food on way
$100 cash for food nearby before using travelers checks
$325 REI backpack (I forgot what kind)
$45/mo for 5 months for Health Insurance (out-of-pocket, i.e., not
covered by group policy at work)
$50 phone card to call home and friends
$x    ride to Springer Mtn 3/15/97
$y    picked him up from Mt Katahdin on vacation 8/14/97
$75 books on Appalachain Trail and T-Shirt with trail on it
$50 Capelene shirt and hat from REI
$40 approx - Smartwool socks
$75 estimated-disposable cameras, film and mailing packages
$275 - film developing from local company who is expensive but does a
very good job. Got 2 copies of all prints.

His cost:
$? Timberline one-person tent ordered from REI before starting
$? Water filter from REI before starting (it clogged during the hike and
he sent it home. He used iodine until near the end when all used up.)
$?  charged to his charge card when he ran out-of-cash
I know that the grocery-store small pot didn't work and he bought a
titanium one - ordered from REI while on trail
Also, he bought a headlight-flashlight which he claimed he could not live
without. (He started with mini-Maglight.)

I think it was around $1500
He stayed with friends in a motel a few times, enjoyed several hostels,
and LOVED eating as much as possible
whenever in a town. He GAINED 20 pounds!

One other note: We both agree that if you are exposed to the elements,
you need to have good equipment to minimize
exposure. Also, my older son, younger son, and I have hiked two summers
at the Boy Scout Philmont Ranch in New Mexico
and I believe that good equipment will minimize problems. (He used a lot
of equipment from those hikes - Whisperlite stove, fuel
bottles, nalgene bottles, rainwear,iodine tablets,sleeping
bag,lightweight camera,)

The thing is:  I wanted him to go because I thought it would be good for
him. (Besides, I got his car.)
In retrospect, I think it was a good experience for him.  He will have to
give details.
(BTW, I love pictures and he had some really good ones.  The vacation to
Maine to pick him up was an
experience that my Dad, my younger son, and I will always remember.  The
Moose Inn is a place I'll never forget,
and on the way home, we stopped to visit with Rusty one afternoon.  There
are some things you can't put a price on.)