Re: [at-l] Minorities on the trail

My theory is that minorities aren't far enough away from poverty to want to
go out into the wilderness, leaving all comforts behind.  I believe they
still remember the lack of conveniences in their earlier years, or have heard
their elders talk of leaner times.  When I lived in Cincinnati my kids played
on little league bb teams with many children of Appalachian parents.  I
remember getting into a discussion one time with several of the parents
regarding camping.  The attitude of most was:  "hell, I grew up having to use
an outhouse, why do I want to do that now?  I'll "camp out" at a Holiday Inn,
thank you."  I have found the same attitude held by black friends here in the
Washington area - people who picked cotton in their youth and didn't have
very many of the conveniences we take for granted.  In a few generations many
of these people, white and black, will be comfortably settled into the middle
class and their children can reject comfort and convenience to get back to
nature and follow outdoor pursuits.

My husband is from Central America and he likes to hike for a few miles with
me and the dog, but as far as really roughing it for a longer period of time,
I think he'd far rather vacation in a resort with lots of amenities.

This is just my opinion.

Gypsy