Re: [at-l] Minorities on the trail

Hi Rachel and all other minorities and majorities,

I don't guess the fact that my clan is one of the smaller scottish clans
makes me much of a minority. So I've asked my black friends and they all
say "camping" may be something that's fun once or twice, but they prefer
the comforts that civilized living has to offer. When I said I'm quite
comfortable when in the woods, they just laugh. I've taken a couple of my
son's black  friends hiking, they had a great time but never went again,
but his white friends don't either. Maybe it's not the woods, maybe they
don't like me.  :-(  No, my son says they like me :-) but they're afraid
of the woods. He says they're afraid of being lost. He says they're
parents have told there things that make them fear the forest, my mom
told me stories about cool things she did in the woods as a child. Chase
and I played in the woods as children, we never though there was anything
bad there. Perhaps how a person is introduced to the forest has a lot to
do with whither one becomes a hiker/camper or not. Maybe if my mom had
let us in the house more often, we wouldn't love the forest so much now.
 :-)                                       Well this has rambled on long
enough and probably means little. But I had fun writing it.   :-)

woodelf