[at-l] Re: ATML Numbers

Pat Dreyer wrote:

> Is there any way of knowing how many people have attempted the
> thruhike
> this year?

The best source I know of is the register at Walasi-Yi in Neels Gap,
Georgia.  They got about 1200 northbounders this year.  This source
misses a few who drop off before they get there (it's 3-4 days north of
Springer), and some who don't sign in (although based on my
conversations with a number of thruhikers, a large majority do).  It
will also, of course miss the southbounders who don't finish.

> I know that there is a
> register for thruhikers to sign at AT H/Q, but is there any way in
> which a
> record is kept of whether these people complete the hike?

The ATC depends on a self-reporting system to record completed
end-to-end hikes.  Not everyone who completes a hike reports, although
again I think the large majority do.  Also, we've recently seen a thread
on what's a "completed" hike - Wingfoot stated his informed belief that
only about 1/3 of those who say they've hiked the entire trail have
walked every mile.

The ATC has started to differentiate those doing it in a single season
and those piecing it together over a number of years.  Kathy Bilton
(kathy@fred.net) has the data for the last several years (though not, I
assume, 1997 yet).

Based on what I've seen of the numbers, I think somewhat in excess of
10% of those starting northbound complete their hikes (to their personal
satisfaction).  It may be around 20%, but that's a rough estimate at
best.  I'm not sure, though, that it's a question worth much deeper
investigation.

- Priest