[at-l] Numbers

Is there any way of knowing how many people have attempted the thruhike
this year?   There appear to be many who are not subscribers to either
list, so how does anyone keep track of the figures?  I know that there is a
register for thruhikers to sign at AT H/Q, but is there any way in which a
record is kept of whether these people complete the hike?

Many people here (Cape Town) have asked me this question.       An earlier
thread stated that the 10% figure of successful hikes is too low.

Our local community newspaper wants to run an article on Klipspringer's
hike and I would like to be able to give more accurate figures.

Once Cape Town Jenny is back home (December), we are going to organise a
reunion of her, Klipspringer and another local woman who did the thruhike
last year - whoops - can't remember her name...   Anyone who'd like to join
us is welcome and assured of free accommodation here at our home (even if
they have to eat beans in the stables with the trail-eroding horses or use
ropes to tie their miscellaneous tarps down).

We also have some magnificent hikes here in this country, but none remotely
close to the length of the AT.

Pat