[at-l] trip report, I-40 to Hot Springs

I got up early Friday morning (10/24) in order to be at the Bluff Mt.
Outfitters in Hot Springs at 9am. They shuttled me from Hot Springs to
the AT where it passes under I-40 just north of GSMNP. The rain was not
to heavy most of Friday but the wind would take your hat off. As I
started up Snowbird Mt I was very pleased and excited to see the colors
were coming on strong. I had feared that the shortage of rain this summer
and into the fall would cause the leaves to be dull or just drop off.

The whole 8 mile trek over Snowbird to the Groundhog shelter was carpeted
in pure glory! I had to shield my camera against the blowing rain every
time I tried to get a shot. I hope the pictures turn out ok. At times the
wind would ease up and the mist seemed to hang on everything. As the sun
forced itself on the storm the mist would take on the hugh and color of
the leaves!! Sometimes the mist would almost be red, sometime amber or
yellow, sometimes orange. The light seemed to celebrate the color of the
moment. I have never enjoyed such a unique hike!

Just before getting to Groundhog shelter I met the first of two
southbounders. Crunchy was one day ahead of Phantom. I met Phantom on
Saturday. He was doing big miles trying to catch back up with Crunchy. He
took time off to attend a wedding. Both were doing very well and were
excited that Springer was just a couple weeks away.

Sometime early Saturday morning a thunderstorm came in. The floor of
Groundhog shelter vibrated with each clap of thunder and each sheet of
rain that blew down Deep Gap. The shelter is facing perpendicular to the
gap so little rain got in. Once, the lightening lit up the gap enough for
me to see my food bag hanging side ways in the wind!
By daylight the skies had started to clear up and the morning hinted of a
great day to hike over Max Patch.

Saturday was cool and sunny so the rain dampened leaves glistened in the
welcome sunshine. They almost looked as if they had been waxed to
preserve their beauty all winter. The hike up Max Patch was near perfect.
The sun was bright and warm and the light breeze kept the temperature
just right for climbing long assents. The 360 degree vista from the
summit was close on to being breath taking. I used up most of my film in
the hour and a half I spent taking in the views. Visual overload might be
a good way to describe this trip. I would take a few dozen steps and have
to stop just to soak up the autumn spectacles.

The walk from Max Patch to Roaring Fork shelter was easy. In fact, it
seemed to me that this whole section was one of the easiest I've done.
Starting out, my total pack weight was 40 pounds including my food and 3
liters of water but  I got to the shelter in good time so I had plenty of
time to change into dry camp clothes and fix supper before dark. I read a
little but decided to turn in as soon as it was dark. Sometime around 9
or 10pm a group of 5 hikers from the University of GA came in. I was very
impressed with their trail manners. I was awaken as they approached and I
notice that they stopped talking when they saw the shelter was occupied.
They were going to put up their tents rather than disturb the shelter but
I called for them to come on in. I'm glad they did  because early Sunday
morning it  began to rain again, hard. Two of the five did a thru hike in
'96, Chris (Pixie) and Gregg (I forget his trail name). Gregg was
directionally challenged.

I got up before the 5 UGA hikers so I tried to extend the same curtesy of
being as quiet as possible. I chose just to eat a pop tart rather than
fire up the whisper lite. I might have headed out around 8am, it was
raining cats and dogs. But this was not really bad. I have to confess
that I want to thru hike almost as much as I want to breath but sometimes
I have real doubts as to whether I can make it. Sunday was a major mental
boost to me. I hiked from Roaring Fork to Hot Springs, about 14.5 miles,
in the cold and rain and alone. Most important to me, I was not totally
beat down physically or mentally by the time I got to Hot Springs around
4:40pm. This hike doesn't compare to a thru hike by any means but to me
it was an important stepping stone in getting ready mentally, possible
spiritually, to do a thru hike. Normally I don't plan a trip in such bad
weather and I usually don't hike alone but this trip was a type of
pilgrimage into my own self. I think God sent this weather as a special
gift along with the unbelievable sights. It is one of, if not the most
enjoyable and beneficial trips I've ever had.

If any one is looking for a good two or three day section I recommend
I-40 to Hot Springs. There are 4 shelters and all have privies and
springs close by. Both ends have easy road access and there is a safe
parking lot where the AT comes down into Hot Springs. There are several
shuttle services available. Going south to north the climbs are long but
not especially steep. I think a south bound hike would be a good bit
harder but I haven't done the section that way. I guess the distance is
30 or 32 miles. I plan to do this section again soon.  Hopeful