[at-l] Tyvek/Housewrap info (long)

With all the interest in tyvek I did a little research and came up with some
goodies.  Most of this deals with Dupont Tyvek(R), the last little section
covers Owens Corning Housewrap(tm)

First, I called some local building products suppliers.  The Riemeier Lumber
Company (on the www) is a supplier of better quality building products, which
means you use 98% of a load of lumber instead of rejecting half the load.
They are also very knowledgeable in the products they carry (no teenagers
here).  All products carry a premium price since you're paying for quality,
knowledge AND service.  Their tyvek comes in 150' lengths and is either 9'
wide ($142.00 per roll) or 10' wide ($158.00 per roll).  The tape is $9.99 for
a 50 meter roll (about 163').  They sell the woven tyvek meant to allow
water vapor to pass, but not water as a liquid.

Furrow Lumber, which goes under the name  of Cashways, Payless and  some other
names nationally sells only 9 x 100 sheets of tyvek for $89.99.  No tape
available and they couldn't answer any of my questions about the product.

My own personal caution, I donUt know how well this stuff will stand up to
sunlight.  This tyvek was meant to be used as a building wrap, underneath some
type of siding and _might_  degrade under sunlight.  Tyvek  used for car
covers might have some UV protection built in, again, I don't know.

Anyway, the rest of this dissertation comes edited from the Dupont and Owens
Corning web sites and Yahoo!.

Tyvek is made into a variety of products like:  semi-custom car covers,
jackets and accessories,  protective apparel.

Tyvek(R), Spunbonded Olefin

versatile than fabrics. Made from high-density polyethylene fibers, this
spunbonded olefin is an extremely versatile material that combines some of the
properties of paper, film, and cloth. Its unique combination of properties
makes TYVEK(R) ideal for a broad range of applications.

Uses:  Filter-media for solid/liquid separations for submicroscopic particles,
 Housewrap (air barrier) Envelopes, Maps, Kites, Signs and banners, Tags
and labels, Medicalpackaging, Industrial packaging, Car covers, Jackets, Bags,
Disposable, general-purpose industrial garments, Bedding, Bags

Protective apparel for dry particulate penetration: Dust particles, Asbestos,
Radioactive dust particles

Protective apparel for liquid splash protection: Bases,Acids, Liquid chemicals

1997 Owens Corning PINKWRAP(TM) Housewrap: surrounds nail or staple punctures
with unique cross-woven  fibers too tough to rip.reduces air infiltration and
permits water vapor to escape.[it] is specially treated to withstand harmful
effects of the sun's ultraviolet rays for up to 12 full months.  [it] is
translucent to let you see where to nail or staple.

 Available in convenient rolls from dealers throughout the United States. Call
1-800-GET-PINK for more information.
 9 ft. x 195 ft., 9 ft. x 100 ft, 3 ft. x 100 ft.

Steve