Re: [at-l] Gorp Receipes

>How about some favorite gorp receipes.  I'd like to mix a large batch for
>mail drops and would love to hear what worked for you.  Anyone?

GORP--I believe it stands for good ol' granola and M&Ms, at least as I make
it.  A box of the cheapest granola and a pound of M&Ms.

I have eaten it made with granola, raisins, M&Ms and peanuts.  I didn't like
the peanuts in it, didn't like the salt mixed with the sweet.

At the store at Fontana Dam Village they didn't have granola, so I made GORP
of Capn Crunch and M&Ms.  Adequate when I was hungry, but not up to the
granola variety.

I have questions about mailing stuff to yourself.

--Is it cheaper than buying it along the way if you have to pay the shipping
cost?  I think the stuff at suppliers is pricey, but there was no cost for
postage.

--What about when you get to a town and the post office is closed because it
is a Sunday or holiday?  Or your stuff is late?  My wife sent me a book to
Fontana Dam Village.  It was late arriving and I only got it because I was
hanging around town doing laundry.

--What about when your stuff goes astray because you had a wrong address on
it?  One guy I was hiking with in the spring sent it by UPS to Neels Gap, but
had the wrong zip code.  Oops!  Cost him a day.

I am section hiking and have only done 200 miles north from Springer, but
haven't had any problem with re-supply along the way.  Of course, I don't
have an answer to the questions I just asked you, but it is worth thought.