[at-l] Philosophical

Something occurred to me the other day when I was trying to plan a time for
my thru-hike.  Sorry for the crosspost to people who are on both lists, but
I wanted to get an opinion from all you past and future thru-hikers.

Do you think thru-hiking is in an inherently selfish pursuit?  I mean for
5-6 months we completely disregard concerns of work, family, and SO or
spouse and concentrate purely on the trail.

I guess I'm asking because in my situation I've reached a point where I'm
comfortably ensconced in a career, have a girlfriend I'm considering
marrying in the next year or two, and looking for a house to buy.  I feel
like I missed my opportunity when I was younger and "unattached" and will
now wait until perhaps retirement.

For me to do a thru-hike in the next few years would be potentially
damaging to the rest of my life post hike.

Do thru-hikers necessarily have to just do the hike, and assume/hope the
rest of their life will work out?  Are all thru-hikers in a state of
transition in their lives as the books would have you believe?  Are they
all unemployed or in the middle of a career change, with no obligations,
and no spouse who will be waiting at home for 6 months?  I guess I don't
buy the argument that if they really loved you they would let you go,
because if you really loved them, could you take a 6 month trip that has no
interest to them while they continue in their work a day world without you?

I apologise if this is a little convoluted.  I guess it just amazes me that
people can actually come up with 6 months out of their lives to do a
thru-hike.  Perhaps I'm destined to be a section hiker after all.

Brent
Broken Arrow (sometime?)