[at-l] Pt 1 Zzip Stove

Justin - wrote:

> About this Zip Ztove, does this thing require a lot of work to keep
> going?  I can start up my white gas stove, with a bit of work, and
> keep  it going with less.  Is it going to be more work than a white
> gas stove?

The short answer is yes. But define work.  Carrying fuel is work too
and I'd rather poke in a couple twigs now and again than hump an extra
pound all day. For more info, see below.  I hope you don't
mind a repost of my answers to previous questions.  I_am_ the resident
zipperhead here <<VVBG>>.  Watch it Frank ;-)

Welcome to the world of Zipstoves.  Below are two links for the official
and the unofficial zipsites plus a reprint of some info from previous
questions.  Hope it helps.  Anymore ??? e-mail.

http://www.gorp.com/zzstove/sierra.htm
http://yahi.csustan.edu/~gcrawfor/crawhome.html

>From a previous post.....Someone asked me for the pros and cons of the Zip stove.
Sorry but I couldn't find your address ...darn that delete!
And it's probably good to put this up to the list because
I really love my stove and am probably prejudiced in my response.

The pros:
No worries about which fuel, how much fuel you are using, where
to get more, or fuel leaking on your new down bag because you
_don't_ carry_fuel!  Well to be honest, I usually use one fire
to dry out some tinder for the next fire so I do carry some tinder
and firestarter.
 My stove is listed at one oz more than the whisperlite
and the pot (with a pan for a lid) that they sell for it, is listed at
10oz. I carry a metal bandaid box (<1oz) to put the ashes and half
burned stuff in.(Remember what Smokey says...(only Hugh can prevent
florist friars)  So my total weight for the stove,_ the pot and
pan/lid_, a windscreen and ash box is about 30 0z.
Because you need not worry about how much fuel you are using, your
diet becomes more diverse...cooking time is limited only by your hunger.
The stove really puts out the heat...I've never done the time to boil
thing...but it's quick enough for me, and it simmers really well.
The two speed fan (plus off) give you lots of control especially
when you add in the control you have over how much wood you put in.
It burns anything ...pine cones, bark, paper (no plastic please)...
wet or dry...once you get it started. But wet stuff does smoke more.
The leftover charcoal from other people's fires works really well.
Should be easier to get onto an airplane than petro-stoves.