[at-l] Military poncho liner

Has anyone tried using a military type poncho liner as a "summer" =
sleeping bag ...>>

I'm no through hiker but I have _one_ experience with light sleeping gear.

I took my first hike on the AT in early June of "77 and slept on a foam pad
with a wool blanket and wrapped myself in a survival blanket and poncho.  We
stayed at Pecks Corner, Kephart Prong, Mt. Le Conte and Mt. Collins (all
shelters in the Smokys) and I nearly froze my little hiney off!  I was 17 at
the time.

After that trip I went and bought my first "real" sleeping bag <g>.

However, off the topic here, I usually sleep under a large poncho (solo) or
under a 12' x 20' fly if I'm with a group.  The fly is light weight, we can
safely cook under it and on thoses days we stay put and the weather is dirty
it makes a fine place to stay.  Much better than a tent, IMHO.  And yes, I do
have a two man BP tent.  My son sleeps in it when we camp.

Steve Hiller
Mason, Ohio