Re: [at-l] Military poncho liner

I wrote

I've got my brand new Tyvek tarp and my brand new GI poncho liner and
I'm leaving tommorrow for a summer gear shake down.  Temps Sun nite
will be a bit chilly for this plan...40-45,

Steve Hiller wrote:

>I'm no through hiker but I have _one_ experience with light sleeping
>gear.

snip

>and I nearly froze my little hiney off!

Hi all!
I'm back and my hiney is still attached...barely <<G>>.  Unexpected
but delightful, company kept me at home too long Sun for my planned
start.  So I spent Sun. nite indoors.  Monday nite was really warm..
in the 60's.  Tuesday nite was drizzley and in the low 50's. The
Poncho liner worked great on Mon. and with my modifications, great
on Tues.  Sunday nite would have been pressing it to the max.

I want to thanks those who e=mailed concern for my safety. I should
explain to everyone, that my plan wasn't as foolhardy as it seemed.
I had with, but didn't need, lt.wt.poly tops and bottoms, nylon
wind pants and a very lightly fleeced nylon jacket.  Just in case, I
brought a home made, 3 mil VBL, and my balaclava and gloves.  Plus my
dogs<<<G>>>.  So I could have made it down to 40, but it wouldn't have
been fun...especially without a tent.
 Monday nite was warm...above 60 all nite so I used the liner just as a
blanket.  I have stiched one edge of a three foot piece of sheeting to
the middle of the liner. Tuesday nite, I slept on the sheeting which
allowed me to use the liner double without having my hiney poke out from
under. I'm a_very_active sleeper and without the sheeting, there would
be no way to keep the two layers of poncho in place.  When I heard the
weather for Wed. nite..sub 40's I baled a day early.

My conclusion ...I believe the poncho liner will be my choice for a
summer bag. YMMV. My nylon layer is very light, and I will keep it with
me during the summer, so should a cold snap hit, I'll sleep in them.
I also think I might keep some variation of the VBL as well. This
would allow me to keep the tarp size smaller and still stay dry during
T-storms.  I'm still unsure about this point...the added weight of an
emergency VBL versus less bulk in the tarp.

A question to the ultra-lighters...do you carry lt. wt. poly bottoms?

Sorry this is so long....I need coffee...more later.   Kahley