Re: [at-l] Pur Hiker

In a message dated 97-10-11 09:42:30 EDT, johno@mail.monmouth.com writes:

<<  Another suggestion with any filter is to store the intake hose away
 from the the output hose.  This way you won't contaminate the hose that
 goes into your water containers.  It would be a shame to go to all the
 trouble of filtering your water and due to improper storage of the output
 hose you contaminate your drinking water.  I store the Pur Hiker in it's
 carrying case and the intake hose in a zip-lock baggie away from the filter.

If you're hiking for an extended period of time it becomes very difficult to
keep hoses separate and to avoid all contamination.  I have dropped the
filter into the stream, dropped the half-full bottle of water, had the hose
pop out of the bottle and touch the ground, etc.  What do you do when your
output hose falls into the water source or on the ground?  There is no way
you can effectively clean it, so you just hope there isn't anything deadly in
the water, wipe the dirt off and resume pumping.  I tried not to become
paranoid about it.

Gypsy