No Subject

Paul and Ilene's kitchen is the community center.  Everybody
hangs out at the kitchen table just talking or flipping through
Ilene's hiker photo albums.  When meals are done, we all chip
in with cleanup - it's not that they expect you to clean up,
it's that you feel comfortable enough to just do it automatically,
like you would at home.  Every hiker is returned to the trail
with sincere good wishes, admonitions to be careful, and a sweet
fresh apple.

My days in their home were sweet medicine to the soul - just
what I needed to send me on my way. Thank you, Ilene and Paul.
The two of you offered me some of the most sincere and heartfelt
trail magic I've had the good fortune of coming upon.  I know
that you've made a wonderful difference in this particular
hiker's journey, and I'm sure there are countless others who
feel the same way.

9/19/ - Day 193
10.2 to Safford Notch - 1982 cum

It was slow going today.  I'm back to my full winter pack now
and it really feels much heavier.  Up until this point I'd been
using a lighter weight pack with much smaller volume.  Now that
FireBall has left the trail, I no longer have the luxury of
sharing gear with someone, so I had to switch to the larger
winter pack just to be ale to fit everything in.  I did decide
to send my water filter home though.  I'm just going to use
iodine tablets for the last few weeks on the trail.  I wasn't
willing to do that for the entire trail due to some concern on
my part regarding long term megadoses of iodine, but for just
a few weeks, I'm not too worried.