Re: [at-l] McAfee Knob/Tinkers Cliffs

> 1) For a 2-3 day Friday-Sunday/Monday where should I get on the trail
> to start that would get me to the Knob and Cliffs and back to my car.
>
> 2) Where should I park my car that will be secure?
>
> 3) I'm planning on taking my tent but where is the best camp site in
> the area.
>
> 4) Late October will be leaf peeping season so I assume the place will
> be crawling with peopleand any shelter will probably be full.  If I go
> then it won't bother
> me.  With this chill in the air, I've got to go(to the hills that is)

ALthough I've never done this loop, I talked some "hiking dentists" who
did.  You could park your car at the Catawba Grocery store.  Walk across
the road (311) and down a little bit there's North Mountain Trail.  (The AT
used to follow this route while the land it currently traverses was in
dispute.)  Head North on North mountain trail.  The trail will follow the
ridge for about 10 miles, then go down hill towards the valley.  There's
supposedly a water source about 1/2 way down the ridge, but I've never been
there, so check again locally.  you'll cross the valley.  I can't
remember the number of the road.  But anyway, when you cross the road, you'll
go thru the Tinkers' Cliffs parking lot and take the Tinkers' Cliffs trail.
When you reach Scorched Earth Gap, you meeet the AT and can either continue
North on the AT down the hill to Lambert's Meadow Shelter, or drop your
pack there at the junction and walk up to the Cliffs and back to your
pack.  I would stay at the shelter area.  It's far enough from any road
access that it shouldn't be too crowded, but if it is, there's a campsite
1/2 mile further down the trail by the creek.  At that campsite, another Loop
trail will take you back to the AT South of Tinkers' Cliffs (that's why
I said go look at the trail junction. ;-)  Keep heading South on the AT and
you'll go by McAfee's Knob.  Keep heading South and you'll cross 311.  Keep
going.  You'll cross 785, keep going.  When you cross 624, turn right and
walk 100-150 yards down the road back to the Catawba Grocery store.

I don't know anything about the North Mountain Trail, but I doubt there's
water along the ridge top.  There's a creek between North Mountain and
Tinker's Cliffs.  There's a creek at Lambert's Meadow Shelter.  There's
a spring at Campbell Shelter.  There's water at Catawba Mountain Shelter.
(The book says there's an intermitent spring at the Boy Scout Shelter, but
I've never seen water there.  I wouldn't depend on it.)  And there's a creek
at both 785 and 624 road crossings.  All of the creeks have cows on them,
so be sure to treat your water!!

I can't remember which month, but recently Backpack mag mentioned this
very loop

--
S. Schuyler Stultz              Recognition Research Inc.
schuyler@rrinc.com              2214 Rock Hill Rd Suite 325