[at-l] McAfee Knob/Tinkers Cliffs

Now that I've done a few warmup hikes (Kanawha, near Grandfather
Mountain NC and Linville Gorge NC) I seriously considering later in
the month doing the AT and taking in McAfee Knob and Tinker Cliffs. I
will be leaving from Research Triangle(NC)Raleigh,Durham,Chapel Hill.
I know how to get to Roanoke (via 220). My questions are

1) For a 2-3 day Friday-Sunday/Monday where should I get on the trail
to start that would get me to the Knob and Cliffs and back to my car.

2) Where should I park my car that will be secure?

3) I'm planning on taking my tent but where is the best camp site in
the area.

4) Late October will be leaf peeping season so I assume the place will
be crawling with peopleand any shelter will probably be full.  If I go
then it won't bother
me.  With this chill in the air, I've got to go(to the hills that is)