[at-l] Day Hikes

Have been a lurker for awhile now and a lover of the AT for may years.  I am
not a backpacker but enjoy dayhiking.  The last few weeks have been a
glorious adventure that I would like to share with other dayhikers.  Once we
heard that the AT conference was to be in Maine this year a friend and I made
plan  to attend.  We are in Georgia and have hiked all of our trail here and
some of NC and TENN. The plan was to drive to Harpers Ferry and then do a day
hike in each state on the way to Maine.  After the conference we would go on
to Baxter State Park and climb Katahdin.  We did it and it was great!

Thanks to Victoria and Frank Logue's book "The Best of the Appalachian Trail
Day Hikes". We selected the hikes and then planned the driving route north.
 Their descriptions of the trails and directions to trailheads were quite
accurate.

Once at the conference we did organized hikes (good) and also went hiking on
our own.  The organizers were great about providing suggestions and maps for
the area.

While on a walk we met a hiker from the Tidewater Club who was planning to
climb Katahdin the same day we had planned and she invited us to join her
group.  It was our lucky day.  We were afraid we would  have to go up and
down the Saddle Trail but they were going up Hunt and thanks to some wives
graciously agreeing to shuttle cars we were able to go up Hunt and down
Saddle.  I am still euphoric from having climbed "the other end" and must
confess that without the Tidewater group we couldn't have made  it.  Nothing
had prepared me for The Boulders. My legs are too short and the arms too
weak( I am an old lady) so I that first bar looked like the end.  The group
provided a ready helping hand and  most of all moral support.  We all did it!
  The day was glorious, vistas breathtaking and on the way down we saw a
moose.   Life is good - Enjoy !
Laura