Re: [at-l] Chlorine bleach

Jim H. Hill Jr. wrote:

> Does anyone use regular household bleach as an ultralight alternative
> to carrying a filter?  Seems it's much cheaper, and maybe even
> lighter, than iodine tablets.  Any comments?
>
> Jim

A few years ago I met a couple of thru-hikers (Justin and Jeannie) who
were using bleach as an alternative and reported no problems.  They said
that they only used a couple of drops per litre of water.  I regularly
use bleach to disinfect my Camelback bladder, as well as adding a capful
to the Camelback when I'm storing it.
I believe that there are some nasties that bleach doesn't kill, and it
certainly won't remove the grit!

Big Blue Frog
...one section at a time...