Re: [at-l] Ultralite Food???

kahlena wrote:

> Me again...newborn ounce weenie
>
> If we've ever talked about this I can't remember.
> So what are the ultralite foods that can fuel us.
>
> I remember a thread on rec.backcountry debating whether you
> could hike on just corn oil.....but that's too extreme for me.
>
> I've never seen corn pasta so what gives the most calories per ounce
> and maybe abit of nutrients<<G>>.          Kahley

I frequently look at calorie to weight ratios in the foods I carry,
including "energy bars" and gels (e.g., PowerBars, ClifBars, GU).  There
seems to be a conspiracy -- nothing ever seems to much exceed 100
calories per ounce, with the exception of pure fats (oil, margarine,
etc.).  As a result, I carry a squirt tube of "I Can't Believe It's Not
Butter" and squirt a dose in *almost* everything I eat (oatmeal, all the
usual trail dinners, etc.)  I suspect the 100 cal/ounce limitation has
to do with palatability.  In order to get a higher caloric density,
you'd have to include more fat, which probably wouldn't sell to the fat
conscious general population.  Of course, long-distance hikers are a
different kettle of fish...

Big Blue Frog
...one section at a time...