Re: [at-l] Bear Attack at DWG

PhattTires@aol.com wrote:

> What is the proper posturing to stop a bear attack?

Although I understand that with Grizzlies, it's recommended to play
dead, I was always taught to fight a black.  Stand as tall as you can
and behave as fiercly as you can while yelling wildly.  If there are
two of you stand as closely together as possible so that you look like
some weird huge creature with four arms waving.  If you can manage it,
a step or two forward in a mock bluff charge.   The object is to
intimidate the bear.  What ever you do don't run away,
they're faster and your running signals that you are prey.

When my old home town still had a town dump, the smells would draw
bears  often.  Sometimes one would get adventurous and actually
visit in town.  Usually in the fall, we would be walking to school
and spook one either back to the hills or into a tree. (Hey...I guess a
flock of rowdy 8 yr olds looks and sounds pretty scarey).  Much
excitement as the neighbors called the cops who called the game warden
and local vet who would shoot it in the butt with a tranq gun and then
haul it back into the hills in his pickup.

I've seen bears a couple times in the wild and always consider it
a treat.  Of course, in high traffic areas like the trail, bad
hiker/camper habits can cause them to be a pain.

The news report also made reference to this being they're mating
season and that this may have contributed to the attack.

I just wonder if today the bears of DWG aren't discussing if having
sex in the woods draws humans and passing the word to never
mess with a female human with human cubs<<VBG>>.