Re: [at-l] ATC from Fontana to Pigeon River

Fish73@aol.com wrote:

> Do you know anyone that has hiked this portion?  And additionally,
> tips on
> trail quality and related topics.
>
> My wife and I are hiking from 8/20/97 through 8/28/97 from Fontana Dam
> Pigeon River.

   The section you're talking about is almost entirely within the Great
Smoky Mountain National Park.  You will need to obtain reservations for
the shelters along the AT, as this is a heavily-traveled and rationed
section.  Reservations may be made up to 30 days in advance by calling
(615)436-1231.

The trail in this section is well-marked, although quite eroded in
spots.  There are some big ups and downs, but mostly well-graded.

Expect crowds on the weekends.

- Priest