Re: [at-l] Newbie Questions

> I am also looking for info on the best way to transport medication
> that needs to be refrigerated.  (i am diabetic and would need to carry
> insulin)  If there are any diabetics out there who have hiked the trail, I
> would love to "chat" with you, so I can be fully prepared to avoid any
> complications.

Good question! I am primarily a lurker, not a diabetic. I would suggest
that you bring this question to your doctor soon, to help you evaluated
several options.

Much will depend on your general health, the type and severity of
diabetes, and diet habits. You will need to plan on glucose test kits,
hydration, diet planning, and knowledge of exercise and calorie burning.
It will be vital for you to plan on test hikes, for at least several
days. You _may_ be able to do something with dry ice and a thermos. You
might be able to use some of the newer oral antihyperglycemics that
increase insulin response.

You definitely will want to train up a friend into how to recognize
problems and provide 1st aid. I suspect that you are the perfect reason
for a cell phone on the trail. The obvious danger is the fact that you
are an adolescent, and may not be very likely to listen to advice or
discouragement.

I am sure that you are not the first person to propose this problem and
adventure. Since you live in NOVA, consider calling the School of
Medicine in Charlottesville or Georgetown for advice, as well as your
own real-world doctor.

Bill Thorneloe, MD
Atlanta, GA
(hoping for a few segments over the next few years)