Re: [at-l] ultralight morons

Jeffrey Short wrote:

> > I finally gave up and hung up.  One lost sale for them...
>
> Huh?   I figured that LL Bean would be the first place to look for
> long distance hiking items....can you elaborate on your experience
> with them?

As other's have said, Bean is a good place for boots.  I like their
unbeatable, no questions asked, money back guarantee.  And let's be
real...this probably had a lot to do with my bad experience.

I wanted to buy a pair of mesh paneled lt weight hikers to use this
summer with a light pack to try and see if they would be practical
for the hottest parts of the thru.  I asked to speak to the shoe tech
to find out if the boots I was interested in were narrow at the heel
yet roomy in the box.  Bean's techs can usually answer a question like
this.  But the tech asked me some questions too and when I told him
the truth he really balked at my plan.  He couldn't accept the fact that
someone might hike the AT with a dry pack weight of 20lbs.

I'm sure there is some pressure from management for the techs to do
their level best to make sure the customer gets what she needs.  This
is smart selling and also helps hold down the costs of their great
guarantee.   I had every intention of keeping the boots, (as long as
they fit and I liked them), for other uses, even if they didn't offer
sufficient support for my thru.  But they didn't know that and  I'm
afraid they thought the sale 'wouldn't take' and I'd return them and
Bean would have to eat the cost.

Bean offers good gear at resonable prices with an outstanding guarantee.
This guarantee is probably very costly so they take great care in
helping the customer make good choices.  Please note that I didn't
say 'don't buy boots from Bean'  I just suggested a bit of subtrafuge
to avoid the hassel with the boot tech.
BTW...I bought a Bean bag and so far so good...and it's light!
Not Feathered Freinds lite but lite!		Kahley