[at-l] Jim's ultralight adventure

Mike -  In Lynn Wheldon's Ultralight video, he mentioned having tried out
your idea, of putting all the weight in a fanny pack.  One problem with that
is that the center of gravity for a man is not at the hip, but at the
shoulder.  Carrying all your weight so low may end up straining your back.
It seems that a lot of the ultralight people end up coming back to a single
compartment lightweight rucksack, often without a hip belt, weighing about
one or two lbs, with most of the weight on the shoulders.  (If it is only 20
lbs or less, that isn't a problem, my purse weighs more than that. :))  For
a woman, the fanny pack idea might work better, since our center of gravity
is lower.

Alternatively, just be really agressive in cutting out the ounces.  On our
last three day weekend, without water, our packs weighed 22 and 24 lbs. -
and we carried a tent, sleeping bags, filter, camera, and food for three
days.  But there were two of us.  You wouldn't believe how agressive we're
being with our Colorado packs.  Carrying a ten day food supply means you
don't carry much else.  But it gets cold at 12,000'!!  We haven't finished
packing yet, but I know that a lot of weight can be dumped in small ways.
(i.e. drinking cups - 4.5 oz vs. 2 oz for a plastic bowl).

Ginny