[at-l] Re: Presidential Ridge in NH

In a message dated 97-07-17 20:22:31 EDT, hikenet@interactive.net (Tom
Caggiano) writes:

<< A good point start is at Pinkham Notch up Tuckerman Ravine up to
 Mt Washington and the Great Gulf trail over to Mt Jefferson >>

As of a few days ago, when I checked conditions on Mt Washington via the
Observatory Web Page, the trail up Tuckerman's Ravine was closed due to
dangerous snow conditions. Snowmelt beneath the surface has caused
underground tunnels and covered crevasses that can give way with no warning.
Rangers are advising using the Lion's Head Trail from the base of the Ravine
up to Alpine Gardens.

By the time you get there conditions may well be totally changed. No matter
which trail you take, it's a fabulous hike. My favourite trail up Washington
is Huntington's Ravine. It's is quite difficult and therefore less travelled
than Tuckerman's. It's also even more spectacular.

Can you do the whole Presidential Range in a weekend? How strong are you? If
you are strong, start early, walk late, and move quickly, sure. If you're
more inclined to take your time, you may want to consider a smaller loop.
It's a tough hike, but very rewarding. I'm estimating from memory, but I'm
guessing Pinkham to Summit, to Madison to Pinkham is probably 20 + miles. But
those are White Mtn Miles! I dropped from 18-20 mile days through VT to 7-10
mile days in the whites, and felt like I was doing just fine. In my book,
bite off a reasonable chunk, and if it's easier than you plan, you can extend
it on the fly.

Most important....by all means do it. And report back to the ATML when you're
done. We'd love to hear about it.