Re: [at-l] 100 degrees

On 25 Jun 97 at 10:53, kahlena wrote:

> BTW...what_are_ the symptoms of heat exhaustion anyway?

This is dangerous stuff.  Heat exhaustion is nothing to "take like a
man."  Forget about trying to appear macho in front of your friends
(just in case anyone actually *does* that sort of thing).  I have
watched several super duper athletic men in the Army with Greek
god-like physiques who were in perfect cardiovascular shape drop like
flies in the face of heat exhaution.  Their stories were all the
same:

"I had a cold sweat and started feeling dizzy, weak, thirsty, and
started looking up and all around, feeling confused... next thing I
knew, I woke up in the hospital packed in ice.. I don't remember
anything in between."

Before a trip, get heat acclimated -- it takes about 30 days.
During the trip drink a lot, drink often, when you've had too much,
drink some more.  Your urine should be clear.   Watch your companions
(not their urine).  If anyone starts looking dazed, confussed (more
than they normally do), and looking up in space like they're watching
a bird flying around in cirles, get them in the shade, lie down, make
'em drink, pour water on their neck, shoulders, and chest and fan
them.  Make sure your companions know to do this as well!

Jim

http://www.townhall.com/heritage/issues96/chpt4.html