[at-l] Solophile's personal hangup

In a message dated 97-06-25 11:00:52 EDT, Solophile writes:

<< OK, I've got a personal hangup that's really bothering me today.  Why is
it
 that if a male and female are perceived as a "couple" or as "partners", all
 questions are directed at the male?  Here I sit at the shelter, one female
 among 11 males, and because FireBall and I are thought of as partners, all
 questions and comments concerning thru-hiking are directed at him! >>

snip

 <<I've been told in the past that I'm overly sensitive to this stuff, but I
can't help it>>

Many women would completely understand your beef. Don't want to start a
gender war here, but I'd guess those who said you're over sensitive are male.
I've gotten so used to it, I just try to say or do something that
shocks/surprises the culprits out of their preconceptions.

Have to admit that when I renewed my membership in the ATC, I had to ask why
the membership had been issued in my husband's name (taken from the printed
return address on the check) considering that I had filled in the form, put
my name in every blank, and signed the check.

 But it's not just backpacking. When I was having a barn built, the builders
constantly asked for my husband, who just as constantly referred them to me.
A friend bought her fishing boat from the first salesman who would talk to
her instead of her husband.

The best example though is of a friend who who volunteered at a home for the
mentally deficient. She had a couple young guys from the home with her when
she decided to look at a cars. The salesman insisted on talking to one of the
young men, and after a while she gave up trying to tell him it was hopeless.
 He worked and worked to sell that boy a car and realized the boy's problems
only after he wound up his spiel and asked the boy if "he could put him in
the car that day." The boy's reply left the salesman looking to our friend in
panic, while she just laughed and laughed as she left the lot and went to buy
her car elsewhere.
Sally