Re: [at-l] Re: Being alone on the AT

For those wanting to do a thru-hike "without the crowds", there aren't
actually any one way signs on the AT.  You can actually hike southbound.
;-)  I know I've never regetted my decision to do the Trail "backwards".

There are plenty of nights in Oct, Nov, and Dec where the only people in
the shelter were our little "family" of thru-hikers.  I think it was an
excellent mix of the social aspects and the faux-wilderness experience that
I was looking for.  It was a little crowded when we met the pack of
northbounders, but many have dropped out by that point, so it's nowhere
close to as crowded as starting at Springer.

Just a suggestion.  Of course, we were lucky enough not to experience this
years record snows in Maine and NH, so your mileage may vary. ;-)

Stacy